Director – Fundasaun Empreza Di’ak
Full-time, based in Dili with occasional travel to other municipalities.
1 year renewable contract (ideally starting in March).
Salary and benefits will depend on experience.
About Empreza Di’ak (ED):
EMPREZA DIAK is an award winning Timorese organisation that works to end poverty in Timor-Leste. Our mission is to create opportunities for people in Timor-Leste to build better lives through economic empowerment.
We support the economic empowerment journey of women and men, particularly in rural areas, by creating new livelihood opportunities, providing innovative training and starting small businesses to build better futures.
Past and present main donors/partners are European Union, USAID, Misereor, Oxfam Australia, US Embassy, NZ Embassy, Care, PNDS, World Fish and more.
Since 2011, we have worked in Dili, Baucau, Lautem, Bobonaro, Covalima, Likisa, Ermera, Aileu, Vikeke and Oe-cusse.
We have four areas of action to create opportunities for better lives:
- In Women Economic Empowerment we work with women from vulnerable groups, particularly survivors of Gender Based Violence, providing training and mentoring to increase women’s ability to succeed and advance economically and the power to make and act on economic decisions.
- In Training and Outreach we develop the approach and materials that support improved skills and confidence to build resilient livelihoods to increase income and improve quality of life.
- In the Micro-businesses we develop local economy in partnership with households across the nation by starting local businesses that benefit the communities.
- In the Community and Social Business Center “Sentru Atauro Di’ak” we lead by example showing a new and exciting way to dramatically improve the learning, the opportunities and the income in remote communities.
We are seeking a motivated person who can work with the senior management team to lead the organisation according to its mission and in compliance with donors’ requirements. For this you will need:
- A Degree in Social Sciences, Development studies, Business Administration, or other relevant tertiary qualifications.
- At least 5 years of proven experience in NGO, program or project management, ideally in Timor-Leste or similar contexts.
- Excellent management skills, interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team with a positive attitude.
- Proven experience in financial budgeting, reporting, strong analytical skills and proficiency in accounting. Knowledge of Quickbooks online or equivalent is an asset.
- Oral and written fluency in English, fluency in working Tetun. Portuguese is an advantage.Willingness to occasionally travel to the districts and remote locations within Timor-Leste, including Atauro.
- Good knowledge of Timorese culture and context.
- Strong commitment to the mission of Empreza Di’ak.
- Full Covid-19 vaccination (at least 2).
We welcome people with diverse backgrounds and specially encourage Timorese women to apply to this position.
About the assignment:
As a Director, you will be responsible for:
1. Leadership of the organization – this includes:
· General management, coordination and support of all programs and services to ensure an effective delivery and efficient operation, providing guidance for the development and achievement of ED objectives in consultation with the board;
· Development of an effective and efficient organizational structure of delegated authority and responsibility within a work plan aligned with ED’s strategy and values;
· Implementation and development of practices that continuously improve quality and support ED’s ongoing development;
· Continuation and enhancement of an adequate management control environment, ensuring proper reporting, compliance and quality.
2. Relation to the board
· Preparation of an annual activity plan to be presented to and reviewed by the Board;
· Lead the team in preparing the annual activities’ plan and budget to achieve the target outcomes set by the Board;
· Recommendation of policies to be considered by the Board and provide counsel on all policy issues as well as any other relevant developments within the organisation.
3. Financial Management
· Ensure that ED’s financial management is carried out in a way which is conducive to the safeguard and growth of the organization’s capacity to meet its short and long term goals;
· Elaborate and control ED’s annual budget, activity plans and annual report;
· Propose, implement and carry out procedures that guarantee the monitoring of ED’s financial performance;
· Review and authorise expenditures as defined in the policies;
· Actively pursue increased funding from existing and prospective donors;
· Lead the identification of new funding sources through business development;
· Collaborate with the organisation’s auditors, coordinating with the staff in order to provide timely and complete information.
4. Program Management
· Oversee the projects, programs and services supporting the team to achieve the defined goals in terms of timeliness of delivery, number of beneficiaries, and overall quality;
· Monitoring and performing quality control of project implementation;
· Liaising and reporting to donors;
· Provide technical input and support to programs as required.
5. Staff Management
· Manage and lead the team in achieving ED’s goals while encouraging the development of teamwork, stewardship and leadership skills amongst the staff;
· Inspire and encourage a work environment based on cultural sensitivity, respect for each individual and mutual support;
· Coordinate or participate in the process of recruiting relevant personnel;
· Elaborate a biannual analysis of existent staff and propose salary reviews by May 15;
· Provide the staff with frequent and constructive feedback, while also indicating training opportunities aimed at improving each individual’s performance.
6. Relation to stakeholders
· Build and maintain relationships aimed at positively impacting ED’s ability to fulfil its mission statement by promoting and truthfully representing ED to government officials, other NGOs, international institutions, community organisations, current and prospective donors, media members and the Timorese community in general.
Your application needs to include:
1. A cover letter outlining why you want to work for Empreza Di’ak, how your skills and experience meet the requirements of the role.
2. Your CV / resume.
The application must be addressed to Emerenciana Ximenes ( email@example.com ) and copy to Sébastien Liégeois ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
The closing date for applications is by Sunday, 6 March 2022.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
For more information about our work, please visit www.facebook.com/Empreza.Diak/ , www.facebook.com/Futuru.Diak/ and https://empreza-diak.com/ .